Sunday, May 4, 2008

Up and Down

One step forward, two steps back. Two steps forward, one step back. Three steps forward, one step back. Alright, alright -- three steps back.

Whenever everything in life starts coming together, it all seems to fall apart again. Life cycles like that.

I've been on a roller-coaster this past month -- a big high and a steep low. Up, up, up -- feeling butterflies in my stomach, grabbing my partner's hand, grinning but clenching my jaw. Down, down, down -- peeling out screams, flinging back my hair, shutting but popping open my eyes.

I got back to family today. Family reminds me where ME all started. Mom was not Mom today. She was Older Sister to my aunt. Auntie was not Auntie today. She was bantering antagonist to Older Sister. I sat in the center, shoulder to shoulder with both of them in the pickup truck. The teasing remarks were flying back and forth between them and I couldn't even join in because my sides were hurting so much from the laughter.

Rollercoasters are thrilling, but family is joyful and always good to come back to after the big ups and downs.

No comments: